18 September 2005

Of moods and purple shoes

Purple Kangaroo had a lovely post last Friday today about her daughters' shoes and a dramatic encounter with wasps at the seesaw. I'd been thinking about blogging about shoes myself, purple ones even. On Friday, I was in a foul mood by the end of the day. I have too many things to juggle at work and at home; some of it is my own fault, some of it is because other people haven't followed through on some projects at work and I'm picking up the slack, and some of it is because it's a busy time of year (I've been on three promotion committees, for example). But by Friday I was spent.

I met Politica (my partner) and Curious Girl at the local Apple store (Geeky Mom's post about her great experience at the Apple store led me to tell Politica she should take her ailing iPod there for service, and they weren't ready to leave yet when I finally got done with work. So I met them there, and we wandered over to the shoe store across the hallway. There were purple Danskos on display. "Try them on," urged Politica. "Yay, purple Mama!" said Curious Girl. So I did. And they didn't fit (darn my narrow heels). But the sight of those purple shoes perked me right up. Well, maybe it was CG's adorable smile or Politica's twinkling, loving eyes. I perked up. And I love that.

Then we went for marvelous Chinese across the way. Where the server brought out only two plates. The invisible three year old strikes again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Invisible children! That makes me nuts! I have stood back and watched my own children take their first independent purchases to the counter, only to be overlooked by store workers. It always fries my butt.
I had a pair of purple shoes once, and I wore them until they had holes in the soles.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a pair of purple shoes, too. I only wore them two or three times, but it was worth the (discount) price just to open the closet door and see them every day.

Curious Girl must have been very well behaved to be invisible! My kids, not so much...

Anonymous said...

My child used to be invisible too. Especially (I think) because he is the son of a very obvious Butch-Femme couple. People so often don't know how to deal with us, much less our offspring. But then I taught him to say, "Hi there." in his Purposeful Voice.

I wonder of the children of straight couples suffer from the same amount of invisibility.

susan said...

Curious Girl's invisibility definitely isn't because of good behavior (although she's generally a good kid). She'd actually had a nice little interaction with the server in this instance. It's just that someone servers expect her not to need food (which, if you look at the next post, you'll see she wasn't always eating, but the servers couldn't know that).

I wonder whether it's the absence of a man that leads to the invisibility? Jenn may be right, the less traditional looking the parents, the harder the child is to see? I've been assuming it is just a symptom of parts of a culture that ignore kids.

This doesn't happen if we travel and we're on the road at a place like Bob Evans--this happens more in non-chain restaurants. Definitely food for thought (no pun intended).

Anonymous said...

so you probably already know this, but just in case you don't, most danskos are supposed to flop off the back of your foot and not fit the heel. this was news to me when i first got mine. it was weird at first, but it now feels totally normal :) go get you those purple shoes!

susan said...

Welcome, Afrindiemum! I do know that Danskos are supposed to slip off the back, but some models slip off so very much that I can't walk in them. I have two pair of Danskos that feel good, but the basic model is just somehow too wide. So the purple shoes will have to wait!