24 October 2007

Slow Cooking

This is my week to get things off my to-do list that I've been feeling guilty about not doing. In August, Magpie tagged me in a recipe meme: 4 simple recipes. Here goes:

1. Enchiladas Calabaza, inspired by a recipe from a restaurant in Graduate School City. Take a butternut squash and bake it (sliced in half the long way, seeds scooped out, cut side down on a greased baking sheet) at 350 degrees F until soft (maybe 20-30 minutes? depends on big is the squash. You could also peel and boil, but peeling is a pain). Let it cool, and then scoop into a bowl. Add cream cheese (half to a whole package, depending on how big is the squash) and some onions sauteed with garlic, cumin, and cinnamon, to taste. Mash all together. Scoop into tortillas,and shape into enchildas. Put into a greased baking dish, and cover with chopped tomatoes (canned or fresh) and/or salsa, and grated cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and everything is warmed through. You can make the filling ahead of time, and then just bake a little longer to heat it all through.

2. Ianqui's V8 soup. OK, I'm cheating, since it's not my own recipe. But I've made it, and I love it. It's amazing, it's easy, and it is the cure for whatever ails you.

3. Low(er) Fat Guacamole: mash an avocado with a can of kidney beans and a jar of salsa. Yum!

4. Matzoh brie: whisk some eggs and a little milk, and crumble matzah (egg & onion is my favorite here) into the egg mixture. Let the matzoh soak up the egg mixture, for the most part, and then saute in a pan with a little oil and/or butter, stirring, kind of likc you are cooking scrambled eggs. New Recipes from Moosewood uses cream cheese with their matzoh brie, which is not bad, but not necessary. Eat quickly, as it cools.

and a bonus recipe, a recipe from Linda, which we make every Thanksgiving: Green Beans. Slice 6 cloves garlic, and saute in 3-4 T olive oil over low heat, with some oregano. Add green beans, the juice of 2 lemons, some lemon zest, kosher salt, and about 1/2 cup of water. Turn to boil, and then simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the water evaporates. The beans get yummy and soft.

Four off-the-top-of-my-head recipes: enjoy! I am not going to tag anyone. I'm always happy to be tagged, but my bloggy neurosis acts up when I have the opportunity to tag readers (what if you're not reading? what if you don't want to be tagged? what if the sky falls...). So I'll leave it up to anyone reading who might want to share some recipes to do so. Happy cooking.

6 comments:

Magpie said...

Mmm...I had something like matzoh brei just the other night, using Streit's Moonstrips, but with salsa on the side, like migas. Tex-mex Jewish?

Thanks for playing!

Dawn said...

My mom used to make matzoh brie and served it with maple syrup!

susan said...

I don't know moonstrips, Maggie--what are they? I do love Migas (with Morningstar sausage).

Dawn, Moosewood recommends serving matzoh brie with jam, too. I don't see the point, as I think it's just perfect plain, but I can see the appeal for some folks with sweetness.

chichimama said...

I am going to have to try those enchiladas! Yumm!

Magpie said...

Moonstrips are an eggless matzoh - with onion and salt. Yum. I grew up with them.

Is Streit's just in the East? I don't know if matzoh comes in national brands.

http://www.streitsmatzos.com/yearround.html

susan said...

We get Streits out here around Passover. The regular matzoh I buy are Manischewitz. Moonstrips sound yummy--I'll have look around for them.