At one point, my mother said to me, "That's a nice outfit you have on." I paused. "It was my wedding dress, " I told her. She doesn't know that because she didn't come to our wedding. She paused. "Cute outfit," she said, and turned away.
I have mostly let that go, that she didn't come to our wedding. Mostly.
I shouldn't dwell on that, when there are happier moments to savor:
- Curious Girl falling asleep on my shoulder, exhausted after a day of playing, giggling, and shrieking
- CG talking to the balloons in the Macy's T-Day Parade. I'm going to miss it when she finally figures out the line between reality and fantasy
- Working in the kitchen with Politica. We were in and out of the kitchen all day, and the food was good.
- Eating bread fresh out of the oven: I made sandwich bread for my parents, and when I offered to cut some for my mother her eyes just opened wide. "Don't you want to save it for the company?" You are the company!
- Watching Politica gradually relax over the course of the day.